Skip to main content
jump to navigation
The Official Site of Minor League Baseball
Below is an advertisement.
d'Arnaud, Peralta among Sunday cuts
Roster numbers dwindling with Opening Day two weeks away
03/18/2012 11:34 PM ET
Travis d'Arnaud was named Eastern League MVP at New Hampshire last year.
Travis d'Arnaud was named Eastern League MVP at New Hampshire last year. (Julio Cortez/AP)
Bryce Harper wasn't the only big name who got sent down from Major League camp on Sunday. Four other players on MLB.com's list of Top 100 Prospects -- Travis d'Arnaud, Wily Peralta, Jean Segura and Tim Beckham -- also found out they were headed to the Minor Leagues.

The Blue Jays' top prospect, d'Arnaud hit .311 with 21 homers and 78 RBIs en route to being named Eastern League MVP last year. He did not enjoy the same type of success this spring, going 3-for-21 in nine games, although all three hits were for extra bases (a homer and two doubles). He went hitless in his final nine Grapefruit League at-bats.

Named top defensive catcher by Eastern League managers, d'Arnaud caught two of three potential base-stealers this spring. The 23-year-old is expected to begin the season at Triple-A Las Vegas, where J.P. Arencibia was named Pacific Coast League MVP in 2010.

For the Brewers, Peralta was cut after allowing eight runs -- six earned -- over 6 1/3 innings. He also did not perform well in Spring Training last year, surrendering 10 runs over 10 innings.

Still, Milwaukee's No. 1 prospect has proven his talent in the Minor Leagues. Peralta posted a 3.46 ERA in 119 2/3 innings at Double-A Huntsville last year, striking out 117 and earning Southern League All-Star honors. The 22-year-old right-hander then put together even better numbers following a promotion to Triple-A as he compiled a 2.03 ERA with 40 strikeouts in 30 frames. He is slated to return to a well-stocked rotation in Nashville to begin the year.

Segura, meanwhile, was assigned to Double-A Arkansas after a hot spring in which he went 8-for-21 with two homers and six RBIs. The Angels' No. 2 prospect also provided strong defense at shortstop, a position to which he moved last season after signing as a second baseman.

"His tools are incredible," Angels manager Mike Scioscia told MLB.com. "Probably the biggest thing has been his growth as a shortstop. I think he's starting to feel much more comfortable at that position. He's much more under control but still can make the big plays when he has to -- he can go in the hole, turns a double play. ... On the offensive side, he showed some really good plate discipline this spring. And I think as he grows and keeps developing, he has as much upside as anybody who's in that room."

Last year, Segura hit .281 with three homers and 18 steals at Class A Advanced Inland Empire but was limited to 44 games due to hamstring issues. He went on to play in the Arizona Fall League, where he batted .310 with five steals in 23 games before earning an invitation to Spring Training.

"I didn't make the team, but I'm leaving happy because I did a good job, I played well and I impressed a little bit," the 22-year-old said. "I just have to keep working hard so that next time I can stay here and come up."

Beckham, the Rays' No. 4 prospect and the first overall pick in the 2008 Draft, was sent down along with former No. 1 pick Matt Bush and No. 13 prospect Brandon Guyer. The 22-year-old shortstop recorded one hit in 24 at-bats but still impressed with his defense.

"I was very impressed with him," manager Joe Maddon said. "I believe he has Major League-caliber defense already. He's got to really work on his hitting a bit, and I'm not talking about mechanical stuff. He just needs to get more of a game plan from the plate perspective, understand how to attack pitchers better.

"And as he does that, he's going to be a big league ballplayer because defensively, he's got a good idea on the bases, he really handles himself well as a person. I really believe he has Major League makeup. We just have to get his hitting in order, and that's going to take a little time."

Finally, Braves first-rounder and No. 6 prospect Sean Gilmartin was reassigned to Minor League camp after allowing two runs on seven hits over six innings this spring. The 21-year-old left-hander was 2-1 with a 2.53 ERA in five starts for Class A Rome last summer.

David Heck is a contributor to MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.
MiLB.com Comments
Today on MiLB.com